Having just posted good results – e.g. 15% currency-adjusted sales growth to 1.04-bn euros – for the second quarter, PUMA is looking forward to a strong second half of the year with a host of new products. The company recorded double-digit growth in all regions and product categories to report 18% sales growth for the first half of the year.
CEO Bjørn Gulden told investors that PUMA’s quick reaction time enabled them to meet fast-changing consumer expectations with new trends and products – for example, by re-entering the basketball category.
Among PUMA’s new products are its HYBRID Runner shoe, ONE and Future 2.1 soccer boots, Arsenal and Dortmund’s new kits, and the Fierce Slide.
The HYBRID Runner shoe is designed for everyday longer, faster runs. As the name suggests, it features the hybrid foam created by fusing IGNITE FOAM and NRGY beads to provide cushioning and energy return. IGNITE FOAM reacts on impact and giving energy return. The NRGY beads provide the cushioning, and reacts to the foam that absorbs the energy and creates a rebound effect during the toe-off phase.
It also features an evoKNIT upper for comfort and a sock-like feel.
Soccer kits and boots
Inspired by players’ journeys from their humble beginnings to their show-stopping performances on the football world’s biggest stages, PUMA’s ONE and Future 2.1 boots innovate in colour, design, and technology to ensure a bold statement on the pitch, says the brand of the new soccer boots that are in its Uprising pack.
Each boot is built with three goals in mind. Future 2.1 focuses on adapt, accelerate, and react.
- Adapt: the Netfit lacing technology features lace holes that allow the wearer to adapt the lacing to create a customisable fit. They are now are spaced closer to each other and cover a larger area of the upper, compared to previous versions, which give the wearer more possibilities. A TPU skin covers the Netfit area in the strike zone to protect it, adding to the grip and touch of the boot.
- Accelerate: a mix of conical and blade studs on the lightweight RAPIDAGILITY outsole offer traction and stability.
- React: the Netfit upper is fused to the evoKNIT sock and striking zones to create a form-fitting textile base layer, a snug fit and make sure the foot is closer to the ball on impact to improve touch. The sock has been updated with specifically placed cuts and structured textiles that secure the ankle so that the player can react quickly and remain agile.
PUMA ONE is designed to enhance every aspect of the game from strike to speed to touch:
- Feel: key strike zones feature soft, thin K-leather to reduce the boot’s overall weight. Under the leather is a 3D strike texture that creates a better touch and enhances the grip on the ball.
- Fit: the FUSEFIT lacing technology and evoKNIT sock offer the wearer more lacing options for better overall comfort, lockdown, and agility.
- Fast: in addition to the updated RAPIDSPRINT outsole, which reduces weight for increased speed, the external heel counter provides stability and aids quick turns and bursts of pace.
Antoine Griezmann, Adam Lallana, Marco Reus, Allan Saint-Maximin, Marco Arnautovic and Themba Zwane play in Future and Sergio Agüero, Romelu Lukaku, Olivier Giroud, Mario Balotelli, Héctor Bellerìn, Julien Weigl, Diego Godín, Gianluigi Buffon, Oupa Manyisa and Thapelo Morena in the PUMA ONE.
Arsenal’s third kit is the conclusion of Beat of the City, the theme for the club’s 2018/19 season kit and depicted in the form of a W in the evoKNIT fabric of the shirt. The W also represents the attacking part of the famous WM formation, introduced in the 1930s by Arsenal legend Herbert Chapman, and is directly linked to the M graphic featured on the away shirt, explains PUMA.
The third kit is in a modern Biscay Green with Peacoat Navy detailing such as on the waistband on the shorts and the hoops on the sleeves and socks, “reminiscent of the 1982/83 Bluebottle kit”. It features the evoKNIT thermoregulation technology that wicks moisture away and cools the wearer and a seamless construction.
Borussia Dortmund’s new kit was launched during a street party during which a giant graffiti mural featuring the new cup kit was created. The cup kit is in the legendary BVB yellow, but also features a continuous black stripe on the chest that symbolises the unbroken bond between the team and the fans across the globe. The shirt is made from evoKNIT with a seamless construction.
Fresh, fun Fierce Slide
“Because the next level is the only level, the Fierce Slide gives women the confidence to push boundaries, whether it’s at the gym or out in the world. Geared with a fully knitted upper, the shoe offers a sock-like feel that oozes comfort,” says PUMA.
Fierce Slide allows for more movement with the higher midsole heights that provide medial and lateral support for side-to-side movement, features a slide-like strap that locks the foot in, and a knitted sock upper for lightweight support. In addition, the new outsole creates traction through zoned rubber “for those bootie-lifting, core-strengthening training moves”.